The Safer Insulation Solution is a national effort working to reduce human and ecological hazards related to toxic flame retardants in plastic foam insulation, and reduce building costs without reducing fire safety. The group includes architects, builders, scientists, fire safety experts, firefighters, health and environmental advocates, and leading companies, and emerged from research by the Green Science Policy Institute, fire safety and other experts.
Safer Insulation Solution Team
- Vyto Babrauskas, PhD (Fire Science and Technology, Inc.) invented the cone calorimeter and has been a leader in fire safety engineering for the past 30 years.
- Donald Lucas, PhD (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and UC Berkeley) is a combustion scientist studying toxic combustion byproducts.
- Arlene Blum, PhD and Avery Lindeman, MSc (Green Science Policy Institute) are leading similar efforts to change standards to remove unneeded flame retardants from furniture, electronics and other products.
- David Eisenberg (Development Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT)) founded and chaired the US Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Codes Committee and has won awards for his work in code development from USGBC and the ICC.
- Alex Wilson, (Founder and Executive Editor, BuildingGreen) has been the most trusted voice on energy efficiency and environmentally responsible design and construction for more than 30 years. He founded BuildingGreen in 1985 and launched Environmental Building News (EBN) in 1992 as the first North American publication focused on green building.
- Ethan Foote (CALFIRE/Office of the State Fire Marhsal) is a retired Assistant Chief at the CA Office of the State Fire Marshal.
- Martin Hammer, architect.
- Marjorie Smith (Siegel and Strain Architects).
- Paul Wermer and Dennis Murphy (USGBC-California).